spacer
spacer
spacer



{ Saturday, January 10, 2004 }

Another Drinking Night.

 
Last night I'd had five drinks, and spilled three quarters of another one, before eight thirty.

It looks like I might be losing my job. The company I work for is closing, and reopening under a new name in a new location with new management. I met the management yesterday.

I don't know if that woman is equal to the challenge she is embarking on. She was clearly very overwhelmed, she looked like she was going to cry more than one time. I understand that she might not have the experience to make this work. I do not know if she has it in her to figure it out and make it work without that experience.

Anyway, she thinks we're overstaffed, and when she sees a payroll, she's going to think we're all very much overpaid. Reality is that for what we're doing, we're slightly understaffed but making it work and well-compensated but maybe not overpaid. I don't know to what degree the two people who actually own the company are going to defer to her judgement, but I think there's a fair chance I will lose my job, along with most of the other people I work with.

So, last night, we drank at a restaurant (five gin and tonics for me). And then we moved to a new venue (karaoke bar) and we drank some more (just one gin and tonic for me). And then we moved to a third venue (strip club) and I was finished drinking (okay, I had a shot or maybe two... and some of JV's beer), but some people drank still yet more. JV missed the first two hours of drinking, but he came along for the next five and was a very good designated driver.

In the next three weeks, I will learn whatever there is to learn about what is going to happen. I gave the woman my direct line and my cell phone number, and she said she would be in touch and wanted to be involved in the move and the training for the new software and all of that... so we shall see.

posted by mary ann 11:20 AM


spacer