spacer
spacer
spacer



{ Friday, December 19, 2003 }

Uniform.

 
We've been issued uniforms at work.

When we were ordering them, someone came and asked me what size I wanted. I thought it was nice that they thought of me in my little office in the back. I looked at the measurement chart in the catalogue and concluded that the closest to fitting me would be the XS.

There was a meeting about the new uniforms. I was not invited. I covered for the switchboard operator instead. My boss told me they weren't covering anything I didn't already know...

For a few weeks there was speculation. "When the new uniforms come, are you going to have to wear them?" "I don't know. I doubt [my boss] will want me to. I can't imagine him coming to work in a suit to find his assistant in her monochromatic uniform with white jacket." "Yeah, I didn't think so. Normally, you look so professional. I just can't see you wearing those. I can't see him wanting you to."

Yesterday, they arrived. I was brought my five new outfits and white jacket and given a list of which color goes with which day.

I asked my boss if I actually had to wear the uniform I was issued. He said he didn't know.

I didn't think paging the CEO to ask him what I am supposed to wear to work was quite appropriate. So, today I put on my new blue scrubs (yes, I work in the healthcare industry. I don't do anything that has to do with insurance or medicine or patient care or any of that stuff. I don't even know much about that stuff. That nugget right there is worth so many points in the home game).

They do fit. Big sigh of relief. I was not about to go running around in what everyone knew were extra small clothes that are too big. Just wasn't going to happen.

Everyone asked me if I liked wearing them. I mean, everyone. My boss laughed at me. I don't think I'll be required to wear these in the future. I like the idea of predetermined clothing and the colors are mostly good for me. I'm just not crazy about going to meetings or interviewing people or running errands in what many people would consider to be pajamas.

They're mostly comfortable, but not nearly as warm as a wool skirt and tights.

I like having the option of just wearing a really comfortable uniform. I'm just glad it's still optional for me.

posted by mary ann 4:26 PM


spacer