spacer
spacer
spacer



{ Friday, June 21, 2002 }

"Full Circle, mary ann, How many times do I have to say it?" -- Ellie, last night

 
So, I went out with this guy I knew in high school Tuesday night. I am petrified he might be reading this, but I will press on. Worst case scenario? I make an ass of myself. He knew me in high school. I somehow doubt he'd recognise me if I didn't make an ass of myself.

Okay, so, um, yeah, well, I went out with him Tuesday night and it started as this whole like morose curiosity Where are they now? thing. I mean, I knew that he was nice and that we got along in high school, but we weren't close or anything at all. Anyway, as the evening progressed it got more and more date-like. I really had fun.

Then yesterday I was talking to my mom (she called three times after I called her and was all bravely not crying quivering voiced telling her I lost my job. It was one of her wonderful and nice moments), and I told her I had seen this guy and she got all schmoopy. "Your first real date. [blah blah blah]". But then I thought about it and I guess he was. I mean I had "gone out" with guys before, but he and I went to this dance and it was really my first date. My first stand alone date that existed purely outside of a lasting romantic relationship. You know what it was like when you were fourteen... first you commit then you talk on the phone then you meet a bunch of people at the movies. He and I just went on a date. Thus he was my first date.

Last night in Apocalyptic Drinking Fest 2002, I met up with him really really late at a bar. Then Ellie and I went home and continued nurturing our buzz and I remembered that I had this note we had passed when we were planning this whole dance thing... and in it, I mentioned how I couldn't stand NotBoyAnymore and I didn't want to meet his girlfriend...

That was like seven and a half years ago. I like to think I've grown since then, but it was so strange. I mean, it was just a couple weeks ago that I was all paranoid about seeing NotBoyAnymore and his new girlfriend. Not wanting to get stuck spending too much time with them. And here I am playing adolescent "was that a date or wasn't it?" games in my mind.

So, last night he had to leave almost when we arrived. He was DD'ing for his roommate. He told me he'd call me today though and see about going out tonight. I must admit, I'm already trying to plan my outfit....

posted by mary ann 9:26 AM


spacer