spacer
spacer
spacer



{ Friday, May 31, 2002 }

Random sappiness about a friend.

 
Tonight I have plans with one of my favorite people. I am going to be in Cincinnati for two family parties and he's going to be in Cincinnati for a family party and so we're going to bail one another out sometime around nine.

I am really exicted. I would have begged out of these parties had I not needed them as an excuse to come to Cincinnati and see him.

We don't know what we're going to go and do yet. He doesn't really ever drink. He doesn't like bars or clubs or coffeehouses. He doesn't smoke. His typical Friday night festivities in no way shape or form resemble my normal everynight activities. Last night I called him after drinking several glasses of a substance called "Pink Prozac" with a suggestion as to what we ought to do... I was thinking that it's so nice outside that we should be outdoors. Then I thought how nice champagne is and that it was possibly something he would drink. Then I added Scrabble to the mix.

The message on his voicemail was probably hilarious. I called and suggested that we go to a park and light a bunch of candles and drink champagne and play Scrabble. I can only imagine if his girlfriend was around listening to this... "I was thinking... that we should go to the park with some blankets. Oh! and champange. Pink champagne. And we'll need candles..... so we can see the board. Oh, I didn't say that part yet. I think it would be fun if we played Scrabble. Or maybe Trivial Pursuit. I think that's something we can both enjoy."

I just talked to him to finalize plans and he vetoed that idea. I don't really blame him. It is a little silly.

I have to take a minute and praise this friend. I believe I have referred to him in terms of MusicalBoy or something along those lines. He tolerates every minor crisis in my life so well. From "there's this guy and he's puking in my bathroom and I swear we didn't drink THAT much and what do I do? I mean, I barely know him" to "There's a word and it applies to the cats who live in the cellar of my house. It means wild. What is it?".... he's always there with a patient answer.

He's there for the big things too.

He's also learned to overlook the striking differences in the way we view the world.

He tolerates my random random shit with great patience as well. Like one night keledy and I decided that we were going to stop by his house. Okay, well, that's happened several times. His whole family bears me so well. One night we showed up and he wasn't there so we gave his mom bread. I think we gave her Tootsie Rolls one time. "Peace Offerings". I think it was one AM on Christmas one of the times I randomly appeared there with friends. I leave mesages on his answering machine that are 10 or more minutes long explaining in great detail just exactly why I need to talk to him... He calls back. In spite of knowing what he's getting into...

We don't see eachother much since he lives in Cleveland Ohio and I live in Lexington Kentucky... we have no idea what we're doing, and he says he has to get back to his parents' house early cause he has to drive back to Cleveland tomorrow... but I know we'll have fun.

posted by mary ann 10:16 AM


spacer