spacer
spacer
spacer



{ Friday, November 16, 2001 }
 
I'm back from my Great Journey to the North and West.
I had a wonderful time. I saw the plains, they are sooo underrated. They are amazing. On my journey I saw Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin and Minnesota. All on one four day weekend.

My shoes... I wear these platformed clogs that make me four inches taller (taking me to roughly 5'6") all the time. In Iowa, we went to Backbone State Park and I wore my clogs. We did some minor rock climbing and I wore my shoes. My wood soled vinyl clogs with the one inch platform. I was fine. I once did fifteen loads of laundry in a laundrymat in a single day in these shoes.
I've never owned gym shoes, sneakers, whatever. I have hiking boots. I have sandals. I have clogs. I have platforms.
Cut to mary in the Mall of America... oh my goodness. The Mall made me buy gym shoes. I actually took off my sturdy heels, my rock climbing heels, my everyday shoes. I was walking about the Mall like some stupid hick, in my socks. I went into some store and tried on gym shoes.
There was a really cute pair with a 1 1/2 inch heel. Really, they were cute. The friend I was visiting agreed with me. They were cute. Cute shoes with laces and a rubber sole (what else do I need in a new pair of Practical Shoes?). My feet looked like they belonged to me in them.
However, I had a moment of "I'm a grown-up". I bought gym shoes. Real gym shoes. They have flat soles and laces and arch supports and all that stuff. My feet don't look like my feet in them. I told all of my coworkers that I bought gym shoes while I was in the Mall of America. They were fairly shocked. Today is casual Friday and everyone else has on their gym shoes. I just couldn't do it. I wore my four inch heels anyway. I love the gym shoes. They are very comfortable.
They aren't me though. I wore them to Wal-Mart last night and I felt so silly. I would have felt more presentable in my pyjama pants. My feet don't look like my feet in gym shoes.
I think it's like how I could never get into cheap jewelry. Not that I wear expensive jewelry by any means. I was never into the whole "$5 necklace to match the t shirt" thing. I can't stand the idea of a digital watch or a plastic band on me. It's okay for other people, but I just feel silly in them. Much like the gym shoes.
I'm sure I'll adjust. Some people tell me I'm even liable to convert to being a gym shoes kinda person.

I also rode the Log Flume in the Mall of America. It was much fun. I was genuinely frightened by the last hill. Seriously, I thought I was going to fall out of the log.

Boy also had a great time. I ended up promising to buy him groceries if he would drive all the way home. Last night I bought the groceries. Boy also had a job interview I think today. I came home for lunch at one PM and he was still in bed. Sometimes I wish we could trade places... He is still moving out. If anyone will take him.

Jerry made it just fine. He hates the reformulated gas. Other than that, he's now at 106,000+ miles and he's still great. I think the fuel pump is having its last stand though. If I park him with less than 1/2 tank of gas, he doesn't want to start. Fuel pumps aren't too expensive though...

This weekend I think I am going to see the boy who is not Boy and doesn't seem to ever want the title of Boy, but was once Boy. Hereafter referred to as NotBoyAnymore. Previously X-Boy He said he would call me later. I think he's supposed to call me. Maybe I'm supposed to call him. At any rate, phone calls will be made. Odds are high that I am going to him. That's fine. He still hasn't seen my very adult-like residence. Boy is there though and they don't get along.

Oh, and the girl who was watching the cat got stuck with a messy apartment and a dirty litterpan to take care of. It worked out though. She and her boyfriend broke up and so she came to our apartment and got all her rage out in one giant cleaning fest. The place looks amazing.

That's all the news for today...

posted by mary ann 2:31 PM


spacer