spacer
spacer
spacer



{ Thursday, December 08, 2005 }

Christmas Music...

 
I just want to note that today in the car, I was tempted to turn on the air conditioning, because it was too hot to be wearing a pullover sweater even with the windows down. Also, there has not been measurable precipitation in this area since .17" fell in October.

I've been listening to Christmas carols in the car. It's not really helping me to accept that it could possibly be December. They're singing about snow and cold and winter and we've had one joking conversation about turning on the heat here.

As a child, I had this Christmas record. I must've been somewhere between the ages of four and six at the time. And my favorite song on the record was a duet called "Baby It's Cold Outside". I think I liked it because my mom did. She'd sing just the "Baby, It's Cold Outside" line over and over again for days after we listened to it. I don't know what ever became of the record itself; it must've been sold at a yard sale after we upgraded to tapes of Christmas Carols.

This morning I heard it on the radio. I recognized it from the first few notes. I remembered bits of the lyrics, but I clearly missed a lot as a small child. First off, I just want to note that my shameful, shameful love of Barry Manilow started at a very young age.

So, it turns out that this song that I was so fond of when I was roughly five years old is basically about some girl getting seduced into staying over at the boy's house and doing whatever harm to her reputation due to the snow. I can only imagine how hard my mom was laughing on the inside while her two small children sang along to this.

posted by mary ann 8:05 PM


spacer