spacer
spacer
spacer



{ Monday, November 17, 2003 }

Well, they took the correct bone

 
Hi, all! This is Jeff here to let you know that Mary made it through her surgery. Everything is fine, and she's feeling well (except for some pain in her hip). The reason that I am writing to all of you is three-fold:
  • Mary's second floor is without power, thus she is without her computer,
  • She's tired and in a bit of pain, and
  • Having been informed of my obligation yesterday and again this evening, I feel obliged, but not forced to post.
Now, the best part of telling the world of Mary's survival is the following. First a question: Is it common knowledge that, in hospitals, the doctors are instructed as to what to do in the form of magic-marker annotations on the patient? I was unaware of this practice of labeling sides of beef in this way. Case in point: Mary had a bone biopsy taken from one of her hips (which side eludes me at present). Before the surgery, they marked her 'other' hip with the word "NO" and the correct hip as "YES" with a bull's eye. I mentally relate this to a form of marking done in meat processing plants or something. Anyway, I just though this amusing enough to pass along. If anyone has relevant information concerning this practice, please comment. Mary is interested, as am I.

One additional note...Mary survived her mother and her mother's direct defiance of doctor's orders for Mary not to eat anything solid for X amount of time. This took its form as dinner at The Olive Garden directly after surgery.

posted by mary ann 11:16 PM


spacer