spacer
spacer
spacer



{ Saturday, June 28, 2003 }

We Have A Home.

 
Emma and I signed the lease last night. We have a home. It's officially ours July one, but our current place is ours until August one. So, we have to talk with Kristie and see what's going to happen.

The new place is perfect. It's so cute and nice. We're really excited.

Nikki's down for the weekend. Last night we hung out at home and drank. It must really be summer by now, because that's how most of my nights are shaping up. Sit at home and drink.

Although one night this week, I think that was Wednesday, Em and I weren't doing anything and we wanted to leave the house... so we took off in my car. We drove east... we stopped at some gas station on the mountain parkway, and borrowed a map for a minute to plot our course. We purchased a big bag of ketchup flavored potato chips and headed out.

As we were getting in the car, we tried to review the route we had chosen, but we'd already forgotten it.

We got off at the appointed exit and just started driving. I can't tell you where we went. We were driving mostly east. North and south of the Mountain Parkway, but mostly just east. I managed not to hit any animals, and at one point we were chased by a deer.

We were just driving along down this little unlined road and something was running along the side of the road toward us. I slowed down and there we see a fawn, with stripes and everything. As we drive past, I watch it in the rear view mirror. It's chasing us.

"Em, is that deer chasing the car?"
"Stop! Stop! Bambi's chasing the car."
we stop.
"What the fuck? The deer is running toward the car. Should we get out?"
"This is kinda creepy."
"I agree"
we drive off.

I don't know where its mom is, but I would guess someone's taxidermist.

Other things I managed not to kill included these two dogs that made us both open our mouths completely unable to shriek as they ran in front of my car, a possum, a cat, and I'm sure there were more. There were a lot of animals hopping out of the woods to stand in my way, and I didn't kill any of them.

We drove around in the mountains talking in Kentucky accents and smoking cigarettes and listening to those mix CDs Writer Guy made me because they really are good for driving around the mountains.

We really only had one goal in the first place going out there. Em wanted to see a hollow. Finally at like ten pm, three hours into this trip, we drive past a street sign that says "Barn Hollow". I turn around in some nice folks' driveway, making note that almost every house we've seen since dark has had one of those Christmas Tree Cone things of Christmas Lights in their yard. This house also had a wreath on the door, all lit up in white twinkle lights.

We turn around and drive back and turn down the road. We talk about how this is all kinda creepy because some folks don't like you drivin' up in their holler late at night. We discuss what we do if a bear climbs onto the car. Then we come to a couple of "No Trespassing" signs. We're not stupid, so we don't continue down the road.

The road we're on, Barn Hollow, is of the one lane, gravel variety. Fortunately, I just saw what appeared to be a driveway not too far behind us. Em gets out to help direct me, because it's fucking dark in the mountains at night. We realize it's really a very narrow bridge. It's like one big truck wide. Now, I only have a little hatchback but I also don't have much by way of reverse skills.

We tried it for awhile, but it wasn't going to happen. So, Em got in the car, we rolled up the windows and locked the doors and as quietly as possible, I pulled the car over the bridge and we turned around in the field. No one came out with a shot gun so I guess we're cool.

After that fiasco, we started heading, well, we started trying to head home. Except we had no idea where we were or which way we had been heading, beyond generally away from the sunset. Somehow though within about half an hour, just two roads, we were back on the Mountain Parkway.

By the time we got home at midnight we were both so tired and useless. It was a fun way to spend the afternoon though.

posted by mary ann 6:30 AM


spacer